2018 was a huge year for Circle In! People often ask if start-up life is harder than expected. It’s a tough one as we have never worked harder, yet at the same time have never had so much flexibility. Like anything there are positives and negatives. In 2019 I am making a commitment to slowing down.
When it comes to work hours, I often find it hard to slow down at night and on weekends. My brain is constantly thinking about new ideas, and I have to say that I am the ‘multitasking master’! Not something I am hugely proud of, as it means I find it really hard (I mean, seriously, REALLY HARD) to slow down. And I find I am often stressed at night, especially before bedtime.
We regularly hear from women who, like me, feel they never have enough hours in their day, and in the hours they do have they are trying to complete a million things at once. Their life is out of control. Stop. Breathe. Slow down!
Committing to wellness in 2019
In 2019 I am making a commitment to focus on wellness. A huge part of this is to slow down. It’s not easy, I know!
I need to try harder at doing only one thing at a time. Doing one thing and doing it really well. There is no doubt that when you’re 100% focused on a task the result is higher quality. You also probably complete it faster, feel less stressed, and end your day happier because of your achievement.
So, this year, here is what I am going to focus on in my attempt to slow down.
At work I will:
- Be strict with my emails. We now use the Slack team collab tool internally and emails externally, and this is helping me to create a rhythm around checking emails instead of jumping every time one lands in my inbox. I want to try and check them a few times a day and that’s it!
- Be strict with meetings. I am going to try and keep meetings short by applying the ‘45-minute rule’. (If you want to be really strict, try a 30-minute meeting rule or try a stand-up instead!)
- Be strict with my ‘top three’. Each morning write down the three things I must complete that day. Schedule time for these and focus on them.
- Be strict with my focus. If I am working on something, I will not allow myself to get distracted by other tasks. I need to stop having 20 tabs open at once!
At home I will:
- Keep my phone notifications off. Turning notifications off has changed my life and is something I will never turn back on!
- Be strict with ‘me time’. Find five to ten minutes each day for myself, and, no, this does not include flicking between Instagram and Facebook! Breathe, take a walk, enjoy a cuppa; be present in the moment.
- Spend quality time with my partner. Commit to a date night once a month.
- Meditate. I am starting slowly but am really committed to making meditation part of my daily routine.
Slowing down can be really tough for those of us hard-wired to always be on the go. I know it will take time to make these steps part of my day, but if I start by implementing one or two, I hope to see some benefits immediately and go from there.
I am scared. Slowing down is going to be hard but I can do this. I’ll be sure to keep you posted on how I am progressing. Why don’t you join me? I would love for you to start your own 2019 wellness journey and let me know how you go.
Written by Jodi Geddes, Co-founder of Circle In.